As I was driving to work this morning, Christmas music played cheerfully on the radio... One song triggered a tragic realization about my life: I am 27 years old and have never been kissed underneath the mistletoe. Nor have I ever had a New Year's kiss. To some, this may not seem like a big deal. (However, most of those people have probably already experienced these things and other romantic milestones. Therefore, their opinions don't count.)
Granted, I was somewhat of a late bloomer- I experienced my first kiss at 21- but still, I had never imagined it would reach this point. When I graduated high school, I figured my life would progress as follows:
- Graduate college at 21 or 22
- Meet and marry a wonderful guy by the time I was 23
- Have my 1st child at 25, my 2nd at 27, and my 3rd at 29
- Live happily ever after.
Needless to say, it hasn't exactly worked out that way. I got my Associate's Degree just after I turned 20, and after having no serious dating prospects, I left on a mission when I turned 23. I returned home 5 months later due to illness and decided to go back to college to get my Bachelor's Degree. I graduated last year, just after my 26th birthday. And I am still single.
I've unfortunately had many heartaches over the last few years that have left my heart scarred. It is to the point where I often feel like giving up this wicked dating game. But for some reason... I can't. I suppose I just want it too bad. The end result is too great to give up.
I know that life never goes as planned- but I've never felt so off track from where I'd like to be. There's only so much I can do while sitting around waiting for Mr. Right to show his face. I've completed my education, moved away from home, am working a good job... I'm ready for the next step- the next phase of my life. I want a forever of mistletoe kisses. And everything that comes along with them.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment