Saturday, April 16, 2011

With a little help from my friends...

As this year is my 10 year high school reunion, I've been reflecting a bit on my past and those who have influenced it. I've always considered myself so lucky and blessed to have had such good friends growing up. At the start of 3rd grade, my family moved to a new house, which meant I would be attending a new school. I was scared and nervous. I hadn't had many friends at my old school and often spent time playing by myself at recess. Would it be the same at this new school?

Thankfully, within the first few weeks of school, I made friends with several girls in my class. From the beginning, there was a strong bond between us. One girl, Nicole, has remained my friend to this day, almost 20 years later. Although we now live hundreds of miles apart and in different countries, we remain in contact. She still sends me birthday and Christmas cards every year and knows me better than most of the people in my own family.

Continuing through grade school, Jr. high, and high school, I made other friends who would help shape my life. I love these girls for their influence and the lessons they've taught me. They brought me out of my shell and let me know it was okay to be silly. They taught me not to believe everything I hear, even if the lies weren't purposely malicious. They were always there for me- shoulders to cry on, listening ears, and good mood boosters. We did not always share the same ideas, views, or religions. But our bond was so strong that none of that mattered. We respected each other and overcame differences. My friends protected me- not pressuring me to drink, but instead, understanding my values and telling me, "Oh, you don't want that... there's alcohol in it."

Throughout those school years, there were silly sleepovers, made-up clubs and nicknames, note passing, and so many secret crushes. After high school, there were road trip adventures- first in the yellow VW Bug to Brittany's cabin in Victor, then the next year to Vegas, California, and Mexico in the van we named "The Funky Junky." My road trip sisters (Brittany, Erica, and Stephanie) will always remain close to my heart and I will treasure the memories we created on those trips.

After I got my associates degree, I discovered theater, which lead to many new friends. There's nothing quite like my theater friends. I guess there's just something about the stage (and the backstage) that forges a strange bond between people. These friends were also so influential in my growth as a person. They taught me how to have fun onstage and how to laugh at myself. They boosted my confidence in my talents and inspired me to do better.

There have been mission friends, church friends, work friends, and roommates, who have all left imprints on my soul. Individually, they have influenced me in ways no other person could have. Through despair and joy, they've been there to lift my spirit or share in my happiness. Even though there is now distance separating us, they remain a piece of me.

For the first time since before 3rd grade, I find myself in a place where I am not immediately surrounded by close friends. It's been a hard adjustment. I do many things by myself now and don't really have anyone I can talk to face to face about my problems or even just my day. Perhaps because of this, I share a unique bond with a friend named Daniel. We have never met in person, or have even heard each others' voices. We are essentially electronic pen-pals, texting or chatting online. Yet he too, has taught me things and has lifted me when I've had bad days. His words have been encouraging, helpful, and kind. I greatly value his friendship.

I am truly blessed to have met so many great and kind people in my life. I am so grateful and honored to have been entrusted with all these friendships. To all of these friends, I hope you know that "because of you, I have been changed for good" (Wicked, 2003).

No comments: